Friday, November 7, 2008

Simone Weil

One thing that really stood out to me in this reading was probably the very first part where it says "every time we say "thy will be done," we should have in mind all possible misfortunes and all possible blessings.." I've said "thy will be done" many times growing up in my religious home & school, but never really thought too much into what i was really saying. I mean i knew what i was saying, but i never really thought about how it could be either a blessing or a misfortune. we don't often think that when we pray to God, that he would put misfortune in our lives (even though you're told as a child that God causes earthquakes cause you were a bad girl..). I guess its just interesting to think about because God can cause terrible things to happen in our lives, but I just don't know if He really would do that. This blog is starting to remind me of the presentation we had the other day on the book called "When bad things happen to good people." once i graduated high school i started to realize how brainwashed i had been my entire life at that christian school. and then some of the most life changing events in my life occurred. up until that point i never lost any family members or any friends. then my grandpa passed away and i had a friend commit suicide, and a friend who died in a crash. i guess it was easier to understand my g-pa's death because he was old, but my friends? they were so young. why would God let anything like that happen to me, to my friend's families and other friends, or to them. I don't think their loved ones deserved it, and maybe they all learned "valuable" lessons from these incidents or whatever, but just thinking about the pain that their parents will feel every day for the rest of their lives because of loosing their child, it just seems so completely unfair to me. This is something i still don't understand to this day. and it is something that has completely made me re-think my faith.

No comments: