Friday, October 31, 2008

The Hermetic Writings

The part i liked most in this reading was the last paragraph. It says "Wanting to know God is the road that leads to God, and it is an easy road to travel." It goes on saying that God will meet you anywhere because he exist everywhere. Growing up in a Christian school and family, i always considered myself a Christian. I did the whole church, youth group thing and lived that Christian life. But once i got out of the christian school, i realized i only believed that becuase i was taught to believe it. Its all i had known all my life. It wasn't truly my decision, but a decision that was made for me. I never had the choice to go to a public school. So everyday from the 3rd grade to senior year in high school, i had christianity shoved down my throat. everyone at my school was the same. we all believed the same things, said the same things, even dressed the same. I dont know, but now i look back and feel like it was completely brainwashing. so i stepped away from the church. I still believe in God but i don't know exactly what kind of belief i have. Its hard to explain, but i guess i'm more spritual now? but i feel like people should not be forced to believe in anything. i don't want to be a christian because i've been told my entire life that i have to be, because it's the way or whatever. i want to be a christian because i believe and agree with the religion. that is why the first sentance really stuck out to me. like i said, i still believe in God and that he created everything. But i see God a little different than how i was taught to see him. But i believe that He is everywhere. and that proof that he exists is everywhere. thats why i really enjoyed where it says "who is more evident than God? that is why he made all things, so that through all things you can see him." i got the chance to go to costa rica this summer for a month through a study abroad program. during the week i lived in the city and had school, but on the weekends the program would take us on trip to the rain forest and the coast. Ive never seen anything so beautiful. there were so many times, where we would be ontop of a hill, or zip lining through the rainforest, or on the beach watching monkeys, and thinking "How can anyone not believe that there is a God out there? how can anyone believe that this was just a big accident?" so much beauty could not come from just science. it's proof.

3 comments:

Donny Helmig said...

Loved what you had to say. I completly understand what you had to say. Although I don't have the same past as you, I get what your coming accross. Thats what is so powerful, our own brain. That we can find God within oneself. And that you can't truly have a relationship with God, unless you find him from within. Enjoyed your writing. See ya in class.

MissVirginia said...

Everything you had to say here, really applies to our generation. Christianity has always been force fed to me and not by family, but by my friends. But through my own path on the way to Him, I saw life the way you did... Kind of through rose colored glasses... How beautiful all of God's creations are... How mystifying.

I really enjoyed your post :).

Florentina said...

I really liked your post! I was kind of raised the same way having Christianity a part of my life. I just got used to it and went through the motion like everyone else, but I feel like when I really searched for God it was so easy to find him all around! I agree, there is too much beauty in the world for it to be a coincidence