Friday, October 17, 2008

Abu Sa'Id Lbn Abi'l-Khayr

my favorite part of this reading was the last passage. especially when it says "..like the sun, they must show the same face to all." i think this passage really stood out to me because of something i'm currently struggling with. i don't really understand why it is so hard for people to be real with everyone. so many times i see friends acting one way around a certain crowd, then another way around a different crowd. it's kind of weird to me, and also sometimes frustrating. i'm sure we've all done it somehow, but i don't know. it just seems a lot harder to me to try and pretend to be something i'm not. i don't think this passage was speaking about this exactly, but its just really stood out to me and i really liked that sentance a lot.
anyways the first part of that passage talks about speaking well about all men even if they're there or not. and how bringing joy to a single person is better than building a lot of shrines for worship and how enslaving a soul with kindness is better than setting a thousand slaves free. i felt really enlightened by this passage. it made me think about how powerful a kind person can be. they says nice guys finish last, but i think they accomplish so much more important things than the bad guys. every now and then you meet one of those people who are just so kind and warm hearted and it really makes me think. how are they so kind to people? people are messed up! this world is messed up! yet they're so sweet and loving to people they hardly even know. meeting people like that gives me hope for man kind. and it really just makes me happy to know that there's still people out there that care.

2 comments:

Jason File said...

Hi Marisol,

I really liked reading your blogs this week...they are beautiful. Thanks for writing them!

Jason

wwhite said...

I very much agree it's frustrating to see how people cater to the crowd around them and even more frustrating to see it in yourself.