Friday, October 31, 2008

Philo

I truly enjoyed what this reading said about God. I love the part that says "He alone rejoices, he alone feels delight, he alone is happy, he alone enjoys absolute peace; he has no grief or fear, free of any evil or pain, and lives in eternal bliss." This gives a new insight to God for many people. I feel like many religions have completely twisted and manipulated the image that their followers have on God. I don't think anyone should fear God. I guess just know what he's worthy of. This reminds me of when i was little, I lived in LA during the 90's and experienced some pretty crazy earthquakes in the middle of the night. I remember as a child being completely terrified waking up in the middle of the night to my entire house shaking, my brother's yelling for my parents, and just trying to figure out what was going on. I clearly remember one night when we were sitting in the living room after an earthquake, just listening to the radio and asking my aunt and mom why earthquakes happen. they responded by saying God was mad cause so many kids were being bad, that he decided to shake the earth. As a child hearing this was the most horrifying thing ever! God, the one who had control of everything, the one who made us this earth, the one who we're supposed to give thanks to and worship, was causing all this because kids were bad?? Now of course i know better, but i don't understand why religion would want people to fear God. I feel like this earth, and everything on it was a gift from God. Everyone in our lives, good or bad, is a gift from God. We learn from everything around us, especiallythe bad, making us wiser human beings. This reading is probably one of my favorites so far this semester.

2 comments:

Kyle McFerran said...

so i have to say that thats a pretty crappy thing to tell a kid..im sorry! lol i think there really is a huge difference between fearing god (being scared) and fearing god (having a huge respect for him) they r two completely different types of fear...

Jason File said...

^^^ I agree with Kyle.