Friday, September 5, 2008

Chief Seattle

Wow, I really really enjoyed this reading. The first one was really sad because it just made me think of how easy the Indians were taken advantage of but I feel like this speech was more like a slap in the face of the white men, but a polite gentle slap. As I was reading this speech I could just picture spirits of the Indians in the cities and towns or on the slopes with the white men. I love how spiritual it was. The white men did not like the Indian's religion. They tried to force it on the Indians but they weren't having it. I think they chose a horrible way to try and convert them. Instead of showing them love and peace and compassion, the white men were terrible people to the natives. In the speech, Chief Seattle talks about how the white people's god doesn't like the native people, and how he is cruel to the natives, but good to the white people. It's really sad that they think this when a god should not be someone that they fear. I think it's amazing how the natives really truly love their land. And how Chief Seattle brought up the fact that they would never leave it, because they love it and it's so sacred to them, where as the white men are "wanderers" because they leave their father's grave and don't care about them like the natives do. I find their spirituality so amazing and interesting. I think now after this reading wherever I go I will probably be thinking about this land and how sacred it once was to the natives that first lived here. I will think about the spirits that are still on this land, and how they are probably watching us and our people with tears in their eyes because we are simply polluting their sacred land.

1 comment:

MissVirginia said...

I really enjoyed your interpetation of the reading. However, in your line stating that God is not someone that should be feared, I beg to differ. In the christian religion, that is what we are taught: to fear Him. That is something that is stressed at all times, because it's like you have someone watching, juding you all of the time. That is why I feel that the native americans maybe thought that He was discriminating; I am not at all condoning what the settlers did, because honestly, after reading Cheif Seattle's speech, I can say that a lot of shame comes onto my shoulders, especially because my Step Father is Apache.
But I also liked this because you gave your true opinion and did not really make this huge analytical argument. Seems really down to earth and I like that about you! =)